4:08 PM

Digging Makes You Know You're Alive...

Or at least, digging makes you realize you have muscles that you rarely use, except when you're digging.

Yesterday was a glorious day--not too hot, not too cold, and dry. Perfect weather for finishing the digging on the raised beds, transplanting garlic, and seeing if my newest method (bright pink string and eye hooks) would work for setting up my Square Foot Garden dividers. (so far, so good--I may try braiding it for a little more substance...)

After 5 years, the soil in the raised beds is so pretty--it's loose, with great tilth and after some compost is mixed in, it's perfect and ready for planting. I rescued the garlic from where it was volunteering, and replanted it with room to grow and expand. Everything else is plotted out (check out the www.gardeners.com website for a nice square foot garden planning tool), and dividers, seeds and plants are ready to start flowing in!

I love this time of year--even with the time change, which made it possible to play in the dirt until almost 7 last night!

1 comments:

Laura K said...

Thanks for sharing the site with the garden plans. I always like new ideas for what I should plant. I've never planted Kale, for instance. Never eaten it either. Maybe I'll try that this year. I'm just hoping that this is a better gardening year than last summer was!