7:35 PM

Happy Spring!!!


Spring has sprung! Hooray!


Despite the threat of rain today, it turned out to be
a great day for working outside, once I got my rear off the couch (Hey, I was watching Cisco, that counts for good intentions, right?) and into my garden clogs.

For years, I've been gardening Square Foot Garden-ish....but I'd never taken the step of actually dividing my bed into squares. I estimated, I guessed, I planted things kind of where ever I wanted to....This year, I vowed I'd really do it. So....ta-da!

My grid is made with contractor twine--it should last for the season. I'm really toying with using copper refrigerator piping, but unfortunately, I think we're going to have to rebuild the beds after this year. These were built, nearly 10 years ago, with untreated fir, and have long outlasted their 4-5 year estimated lifetime...

So far, I've planted two different types of sugar snap peas--they'll use the trellis at the far end of the bed. Up front, leaf lettuce, and red and yellow shallots. I just haven't had the heart to pull that overwintered kale yet. It's a gorgeous purple shot of color. There's also some chard that's wintered over...it's already been yummy in stir fry!

It was a lovely way to welcome spring...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

absolutely beautiful

rubinajo said...

That's some very tall kale you've got there in the corner.

Meg S said...

It is! In the bed, it's as tall as I am. Okay, so that may not seem so tall, but it is!! :)

Ivana said...

Looks great. What are the dimensions of the raised bed?

I'm doing a couple kinds of sugar snap peas, too, and planting more rows than ever before. I've found I just can't get enough.

Meg S said...

Ivana--This bed is 8x4. I have another 4x4 bed beside it, with plans for garlic, greens and leeks.

I think the beans may go out front, or in a big container on the way back patio, to get full-on sun.